Re: What Python IDE are you using?

From: Luis Felipe
Subject: Re: What Python IDE are you using?
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2022 18:03:08 +0000

Hi David,

On Thursday, August 25th, 2022 at 18:33, david larsson
<david.larsson@selfhosted.xyz> wrote:

> I use emacs with plugins like jupyter, flake8, magit, and jedi that
> gives autocompletion for Python, including from org-mode files and
> org-src buffers - see attached screenshot. It works nicely so far.

Thanks. Actually, Emacs Elpy uses several common packages used to program
Python in Emacs. It's just that it started failing for me a couple of months
ago for different reasons so I thought it would be good to find a fallback
editor.

However, I found out that there was something in my monolithic Emacs init.el
causing autocompletion to fail. I haven't been able to pinpoint the
configuration snippet that is causing the problem though. So I just ditched
that init.el and started using different, short initialization files depending
on the need, and now I can use Emacs Elpy again normaly.

> I have modified some emacs plugins a bit, and am currently working on
> refining things for a setup that gives nice auto-completion for Python,
> Javascript and Guile, which can be used from Emacs with a simple
> installation of a manifest, and maybe a home-configuration in the
> future.

Oh, yeah, I use Emacs launched from guix shell environments specific to my
projects.

> I use a custom channel, waiting to also have related packages be refined
> enough to be submitted to guix master.
>

> https://gitlab.com/methuselah-0/my-guix-packages
>

> My current emacs config will almost certainly see some new commits be
> pushed to https://gitlab.com/methuselah-0/my-guix-packages in the
> following weeks.
>

> Auto-completion, with code-signatures, jump-to-definition etc is working
> and possible, but not with a simple out-of-the-box installation from
> Guix yet. Though Im working on it :-)

I think it is already possible. As far as I know, Emacs Elpy enables those
features: linting, autocompletion, function signatures displayed for the
function at point, displaying function documentation, and jumping to
definition, some refactoring, ...

My current Elpy configuration is just this:

;; Enable Elpy IDE.
;; https://elpy.readthedocs.io/
;;
(elpy-enable)
(setq elpy-rpc-python-command "python3")  ; Is this still needed?

;; Use Flycheck instead of Flymake
;; (Flymake makes Emacs unresponsive unpredictably).
;;
(when (load "flycheck" t t)
  (setq elpy-modules (delq 'elpy-module-flymake elpy-modules))
  (add-hook 'elpy-mode-hook 'flycheck-mode))

Cheers,