Re: tor

From: Csepp
Subject: Re: tor
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2022 12:54:15 +0200

Gottfried <gottfried@posteo.de> writes:

> [[PGP Signed Part:Undecided]]
>> Word of warning: if you want to stay anonymous, you should use Tor
>>> Browser or Tails.  Icecat is a bad choice, it has few users and its
>>> developers added some custom code that makes it very easy to figure out
>>> your aren't running vanilla Firefox.
>
> As far as I understand it:
>
> How can I use Tor Browser or Tails in Guix?
>
> I would have to use Tails through a usb-stick, without installing it
> on the harddisk - am I right?
>
> How could I use Tor Browser with Guix?
>
> Gottfried
>

> Am 28.08.22 um 14:09 schrieb Csepp:
>> Gottfried <gottfried@posteo.de> writes:
>>
>>> [[PGP Signed Part:Undecided]]
>>> Hi Guixers,
>>>
>>> I installed "tor".
>>>
>>> Do I also need "tor-client" and "torsocks"?
>>>
>>> I don't know what they are for.
>>>
>>> I don't want to have too many packages, so if I don't need them to run
>>> tor, I can uninstall them.
>>>
>>> Gottfried
>>>
>>> [2. OpenPGP public key --- application/pgp-keys;
>>> OpenPGP_0x61FAF349C9FB7F94.asc]...
>>>
>>> [[End of PGP Signed Part]]
>> You can just use tor and set your browser or whatever to use it as a
>> proxy.  Torsocks mostly does the same thing.  Kind of.  (Not really.)
>> Word of warning: if you want to stay anonymous, you should use Tor
>> Browser or Tails.  Icecat is a bad choice, it has few users and its
>> developers added some custom code that makes it very easy to figure out
>> your aren't running vanilla Firefox.
>

> [2. OpenPGP public key --- application/pgp-keys;
> OpenPGP_0x61FAF349C9FB7F94.asc]...
>
> [[End of PGP Signed Part]]

Tails itself has docs on how you can use it, Guix doesn't matter in that
case.
For Tor Browser, your best bets are containers of some sort.  I have
Arch and Debian chroots for running software that Guix can't run yet.
Maybe it has a Flatpak?  I think there might be some info on the mailing
list about running it, I know I've seen others discuss it.

Personally, I use Tails from a USB stick, it's the most secure of all
the alternatives.