Re: tor

From: Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli
Subject: Re: tor
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2022 15:59:21 +0200

On Wed, 31 Aug 2022 18:23:54 +0200
Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli <GNUtoo@cyberdimension.org> wrote:
> As for creating the rootfs to chroot in, we need better support for it
> in Guix, especially to add more FSDG compliant distributions.
>
> So far PureOS "amber" is probably the only FSDG compliant option there
> is.
>
> After installing debootstrap, the following command should create an
> extremely basic rootfs in the /path/to/rootfs/directory directory:
> > sudo debootstrap amber /path/to/rootfs/directory \
> > https://repo.puri.sm/pureos
>
> You then need to do some low level configuration manually (like
> explained in 'man debootstrap'). The Debian installation manual has
> more information on that[1] and since PureOS is based on Debian, most
> of the information can be reused.
Another option would be to find how to dual boot between two GNU/Linux
distributions (like Guix and Trisquel) and use the (Trisquel) graphical
installer to do the installation. The issue here is to make sure not to
erase your existing distribution (Guix) during the installation as it
is easy enough to make the mistake.

Yet another way would be to use a virtual machine software like
gnome-boxes or virt-manager to install another GNU/Linux distribution
inside and use the tor-browser in that.

To make virt-manager (and probably gnome-boxes) work you also need to
add something like this in your service list in the system.scm:
> (service libvirt-service-type
>          (libvirt-configuration))

There is a big quantity of options, so try to pick the one that looks
easier for you.

Denis.