Re: what am I doing wrong with girc?

From: Guillaume Le Vaillant
Subject: Re: what am I doing wrong with girc?
Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2022 14:24:53 +0000

jgart <jgart@dismail.de> skribis:

> Hi Guixers,
>
> I'm trying to package girc:
>
> https://github.com/McParen/girc/search?p=2&q=anvi
>
> Should I be referencing the asd-system explicitly?
>
> Does this asd system have some inconsistencies in how it was set up?
>
> I have to use build-program to package the binary executable.
>
> all best,
>
> jgart
>
> [...]
>       (arguments
>         (list
>           #:phases
>           #~(modify-phases %standard-phases
>               (add-after 'create-asdf-configuration 'build-program
>                 (lambda* (#:key outputs #:allow-other-keys)
>                   (build-program
>                    (string-append (assoc-ref outputs "out") "/bin/girc")
>                    outputs
>                    #:entry-program '((girc:girc) 0)
>                    #:dependencies '("split-sequence")))))))
> [...]

I think the 'build-program' phase should be something like:

(add-after 'create-asdf-configuration 'build-program
  (lambda* (#:key outputs #:allow-other-keys)
    (build-program (string-append (assoc-ref outputs "out") "/bin/girc")
                   outputs
                   #:entry-program '((girc:run))
                   #:dependencies '("girc")))

Where 'dependencies' indicates what library to load, and 'entry-program'
indicates which function of this library to call.

If girc is meant to be used as a standalone program, maybe you could
just call the package "girc" and put it in "irc.scm", and the "*cl-girc"
library packages would not be necessary.