Re: Why is the <derivation> scheme record needed?

From: jgart
Subject: Re: Why is the <derivation> scheme record needed?
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2022 09:58:36 -0500

On Sat, 17 Sep 2022 20:41:43 +0200 Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> wrote:

Hi rekado,

Thanks for the explanations! Much appreciated. Here are some more questions:

> It is a Scheme representation of a derivation, which also has an on-disk
> representation.

Why was the scheme representation of a derivation needed?

Was it primarily so that we can inspect it at the REPL like a scheme
object before it gets sent to disk or is there some additional reason?

> Everything that the daemon is asked to build must be compiled to a
> derivation on disk first.  From the perspective of the daemon there are
> no first-class packages, only derivations.  Much of what Guix as a
> library does is to turn package values into derivation files and
> builders to feed them into the daemon.

Why are the bags needed? What do the bags solve in the system?

all best,

jgart