Combine locales

From: Fredrik Salomonsson
Subject: Combine locales
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2022 23:35:12 +0000

Hi all,

I'm slowly transition my computers to running Guix System instead Guix
on a foreign distro. Starting with my laptop, as that is not that
critical right now.

One thing I cannot figure out is how to setup the operating-system to
use English as the language but use Swedish for the date format. Similar
to what is described in Locale Names[0] in the libc manual.

I.e. on my foreign distro I have /etc/locale.conf define:
---✀----------------------------------------------------------------------------
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LC_TIME=sv_SE.UTF-8

In my operating-system configuration system I have:
---✀----------------------------------------------------------------------------
(operating-system
 ;;…
 (locale "en_US.utf8")
 (locale-definitions
  (list
   (locale-definition (name "en_US.utf8") (source "en_US") (charset "UTF-8"))
   (locale-definition (name "sv_SE.utf8") (source "sv_SE") (charset "UTF-8"))))
 ;;…
)

I have checked the guix manual, but cannot find any information about
this. Is it not supported?

[0] https://www.gnu.org/software/libc/manual/html_node/Locale-Names.html

--
s/Fred[re]+i[ck]+/Fredrik/g