Re: Combine locales

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Combine locales
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2022 11:02:23 +0200

Fredrik Salomonsson <plattfot@posteo.net> skribis:

> One thing I cannot figure out is how to setup the operating-system to
> use English as the language but use Swedish for the date format. Similar
> to what is described in Locale Names[0] in the libc manual.
>
> I.e. on my foreign distro I have /etc/locale.conf define:
> ---✀----------------------------------------------------------------------------
> LANG=en_US.UTF-8
> LC_TIME=sv_SE.UTF-8

I think we’re missing an easy way to configure this.  One way to do it
system-wide would be (untested):

  (simple-service 'locale-setup session-environment-service-type
                  '(("LANG" . "en_US.UTF-8")
                    ("LC_CTIME" . "sv_SE.UTF-8")))

That way, all sessions would get these environment variables by default.

HTH!

Ludo’.