duplicate package names in channels

From: Fulbert
Subject: duplicate package names in channels
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2022 21:48:31 +0200

Hello !

I'm not sure if guix supports similar package names [and version number]
provided in more than one “active” channels (declared in the list of
'~/.config/guix/channels.scm, including %default-channels)…
a) if 2 packages share their name, version and package definition,
yielding the exact same result, thus sharing the same hash and
/gnu/store/ storage-space (one “recognizing” the other hash, avoiding
redondant build or conflict ?) ;
b) if 2 packages share their name but not the version, thus yielding
distinct hashes, could guix automatically choose the highest available
version, similar to what guix does when it provides multiple versions of
the same name package in the main 'guix channel ? ;
c) if 2 packages share their name and version but do not yield the same
result/hash (… that's the only case where I'm abble to see a conflict).

As far as i understand, (c) would be problematic, thus (a) would require
a pre-build of both and conflict management, which is unlikely(?) and
consequently, (b) would require a user to remove manually a package in
the additionnal channel before it leads to (a).

So, my guess work gives NO, NO and NO, but I would be gratefull if
someone could confirm, eventually with a pointer to the manual or other
doc. (I am unable to check that for myself in the sources with any
degree of comprehension, let alone certainty ^^)

Thanks for guix and best regards,
Fulbert