Re: duplicate package names in channels

From: Julien Lepiller
Subject: Re: duplicate package names in channels
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2022 22:01:39 +0200

Build results are kind of content-addressed, so when two separate packages
yield the same hash, it means they are the same package, and no rebuild is
necessary.

For the other two questions, it depends from which perspective you're looking
at. From the code point of view, there are no difference between packages from
guix and a channel. When two packages yield a different hash, they are
considered different, so both are built if needed. Also, the code has direct
reference to a given package, you can't reference "whatever provides gcc", you
have to reference a specific gcc package, either from a channel or from the
main guix.

So from the code point of view, two packages may have the same name and even
version, and this is never ambiguous. Because packages are stored as Guile
variables and when you specify a variable name it can only reference one value.

From the user point of view, esp. the CLI, you seem to have noticed that guix
will chose the highest version number when you ask for a package without an
explicit version number. This does not change whether packages come from a
channel or from guix.

When two packages have the same name and version, guix will arbitrarily (but
reproducibly :p) chose one or the other.

HTH!