locales do not work

From: two
Subject: locales do not work
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2022 17:01:49 -0000

hi gnu!
i am using guix on debian (installed with the installer from apt)
the trouble is that some programs don't translate or can't handle filenames
containing unicode and guix prints this warning:
>hint: Consider installing the `glibc-locales' package and defining
>`GUIX_LOCPATH', along these lines:
>     guix install glibc-locales
>     export GUIX_LOCPATH="$HOME/.guix-profile/lib/locale"

even thought i have installed this (and added the letter line to my .profile)
the problem persists.
$GUIX_LOCPATH is indeed accessible: