Re: How to open: Usb, hdd and other storage

From: Wojtek Kosior
Subject: Re: How to open: Usb, hdd and other storage
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2022 17:55:21 +0200

Hi there!

> Hello, excuse my English. Can you give me a hint?
> I am new to guix. I have installed the OS but I have no idea how to
> open my usb drives and my hdd? Lsusb shows my usb storage but file
> manager is silent. I am using xfce.

There exist some facilities to have external media pop up in file
menagers but I don't have experience setting those up in Guix. Perhaps
someone else will help here. Before that happens, I can recommend a
really lame command-line workaround.

Choose a directory in the filesystem where you want your USB to be
"mounted". That is, where you want the contents of your flash drive to
appear. A typical location is `/mnt/` or some directory under `/mnt/`.

Check what drives your system sees. For example with

    ls /dev/sd*

Most commonly, you'll see a `/dev/sda` special file which represents
your computer's HDD/SSD and `/dev/sda1`, `/dev/sda2`, etc. which
represents the partitions on that device. Analogously, `/dev/sdb`,
`/dev/sdc`, etc. shall represent another devices (usually other
HDDs/SSDs and flash drives) and `/dev/sdb1`, `/dev/sdb2`, `/dev/sdc1`,
etc. shall represent their partitions.

There do exist some ways to check which special file corresponds to
which device. Personally, however, I never remember those ways and I
usually just guess which file is the one for my USB. So, assuming
`/dev/sdb1` is the data partition of your flash drive, you can do

    sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/

and confirm with your password. If no error is shown, you can check with

    ls /mnt

If this command lists the files from your flash drive, you successfully
mounted it over `/mnt/`. You can now navigate there with your file
manager and read the files. If not, you can try with another of the
`/dev/sd*` files.

In some cases a flash drive might just have a filesystem on it, without
any partitions. In this case something like

    sudo mount /dev/sdc /mnt/

may work.

Also, the contents of storage mounted this way are "owned" by root.
That means you need to copy files to `/mnt/` using sudo to have them
stored on you flash drive. Same with deletion of files.

Once you're done, you can do

    sudo umount /mnt/

Best,
Wojtek

-- (sig_start)
website: https://koszko.org/koszko.html
PGP: https://koszko.org/key.gpg
fingerprint: E972 7060 E3C5 637C 8A4F  4B42 4BC5 221C 5A79 FD1A

Meet Kraków saints!           #54: blessed Wojciech Nierychlewski
Poznaj świętych krakowskich!  #54: błogosławiony Wojciech Nierychlewski
https://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wojciech_Nierychlewski
-- (sig_end)