Re: How to open: Usb, hdd and other storage sata

From: Niklas Schmidt
Subject: Re: How to open: Usb, hdd and other storage sata
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2022 18:46:15 +0000

Hello everybody,

I can't speak for Thunar or any other graphical file manager, but I think many file managers do in some way or another support File System in Userspace (FUSE).

I use Udisks to mount storage media without "sudo".

In my operating system definition, I add my user to the fuse group:

  (users
   (cons* (user-account (name "nschmidt")
                       (group "users")
                       (supplementary-groups '("fuse" "wheel")))
         %base-user-accounts))
(groups
   (cons* (user-group (name "fuse"))
         %base-groups))
(packages
   (append
    (list fuse gvfs udisks)
    %base-packages))

For this I had to add:

 (use-service-modules desktop)
 (use-package-modules freedesktop ; udisks
                     gnome  ; gvfs
                     linux) ; fuse

Mounting and unmounting goes like so:

 $ udisksctl mount -b /dev/sdb
 Mounted /dev/sdb at /media/nschmidt/3437-6CE7.

 $ udisksctl unmount -b /dev/sdb

(Use lsblk to find out the block device node path /dev/sdX.)

I am not sure if this is of any help with Thunar. Currently, I do not have a storage medium at hand to test either.

Best regards
Niklas