Trouble with nfs mount

From: Fredrik Salomonsson
Subject: Trouble with nfs mount
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2022 21:46:29 +0000

Hi Guix,

I'm having some issues with my nfs storage on Guix System.

Here is the part of my configuration that deals with mounting the nfs
device.

  (define nfs-valhalla
    (file-system
     (device "fafner:/srv/nfs4/Valhalla")
     (mount-point "/media/Valhalla")
     (options "auto,_netdev,timeo=10")
     (type "nfs4")
     (mount? #f)
     (check? #f)))

  (operating-system
   ;; …
   (file-systems
    (cons*
     ;; …
     nfs-valhalla
     %base-file-systems)))

cat /etc/fstab:
---✂----------------------------------------------------------------------------
  …
  fafner:/srv/nfs4/Valhalla     /media/Valhalla nfs4    auto,_netdev,timeo=10

As you can see Guix creates it just fine in /etc/fstab. I can manually
mount it. But if it's mounted when I'm shutting down the system it will
block. Sheperd will wait for some process to finish (which I assume is
the nfs mount). It works fine if I manually unmount it before shutting
down.

If I set it to mount on boot, it wont reach the tty prompt. Instead it
will get stuck somewhere along the boot process (grub menu to the
rescue). I do see shepherd failing to mount it after I've run guix
system reconfigure.

---✂----------------------------------------------------------------------------
…
shepherd: Evaluating user expression (and (defined? (quote transient?)) (map (#
?) ?)).
guix system: warning: exception caught while executing 'start' on service
'file-system-/media/Valhalla':
In procedure mount: mount "fafner:/srv/nfs4/Valhalla" on "///media/Valhalla":
Invalid argument
guix system: warning: some services could not be upgraded
…

So that's probably what's happening during boot.

I have no idea how it transforms the mount-point from "/media/Valhalla"
to "///media/Valhalla" and if that's a red herring.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!

--
s/Fred[re]+i[ck]+/Fredrik/g