Re: Ibus does not work with GTK 4 applications (?)

From: Luis Felipe
Subject: Re: Ibus does not work with GTK 4 applications (?)
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2022 16:50:33 +0000

Hi Liliana,

On Wednesday, October 19th, 2022 at 07:09, Liliana Marie Prikler
<liliana.prikler@ist.tugraz.at> wrote:

> You don't need a similar variable for GTK4. GTK4 has its own logic for
> locating immodules, which works without Guix needing to patch it.
> Note, that as of [1] ibus has GTK4 support, so on this side things
> should be fine. However...
>
> [...]
>
> IBus is one of these annoying packages that may cause stale caches on
> the user's side. I recommend you rm -rf ~/.cache/ibus and then restart
> it.

Yeah, I do this too :)

> それで日本語を書きできる。

僕もできるけど、GTK4で何もできない。

Liliana, so you can type Japanese normally in GNOME Music or any other GTK 4
app?

> You should take this with a grain of salt however. It might still be
> that you need to restart ibus or gnome-shell from time to time because
> they lost sight of each other. I'm not sure how this relates to reboot
> cycles, but it might be a clue.

Yep, at least since my last system upgrade, I have to restart ibus from time to
time during my desktop session because Spanish and Japanese stop working out of
the blue. I also have to restart ibus everytime after a reboot, otherwise I
can't enter UNICODE with Ctrl+Shift+U nor type 日本語, although Spanish works.
It's weird :)