Re: Upgrading profile error

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Upgrading profile error
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2022 10:38:22 +0200

Hi,

On mer., 19 oct. 2022 at 23:45, André A. Gomes <andremegafone@gmail.com> wrote:

> $ guix package --upgrade emacs

> guix package: error: profile contains conflicting entries for gnupg
> guix package: error:   first entry: gnupg@2.2.32
> /gnu/store/khviv1d2nhdm2ykaiva936b0jdfkmf9w-gnupg-2.2.32
> guix package: error:    ... propagated from emacs-pinentry@0.1-1.dcc9ba0
> guix package: error:   second entry: gnupg@2.2.32
> /gnu/store/0jlw8kk0ll25lzbz939jaz4sbfkr8gqj-gnupg-2.2.32
> guix package: error:    ... propagated from emacs-pinentry@0.1-1.dcc9ba0
> hint: You cannot have two different versions or variants of `emacs-pinentry'
> in the same
> profile.
>
> I don't understand what's going on here.  Any piece of advice?  Thank
> you.

Well, it depends on what you already have in this profile.  Yes, the
message can be confusing. :-)

BTW, instead of,

    $ guix package --upgrade emacs

I think it is better to upgrade the complete manifest.  See [1] for some
details.  For instance,

        When partially upgrading a profile,  conflicts may arise (due to
        diverging dependencies  between the updated and  the non-updated
        packages)    and   they    can    be    annoying   to    resolve
        manually.  Manifests remove  this problem  altogether since  all
        packages are always upgraded at once.

1:
<https://guix.gnu.org/en/cookbook/en/guix-cookbook.html#Guix-Profiles-in-Practice>

Cheers,