Re: export LC_ALL=C

From: Luis Felipe
Subject: Re: export LC_ALL=C
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2022 13:19:09 +0000

Hi Gottfried,

------- Original Message -------
On Monday, October 24th, 2022 at 12:17, Gottfried <gottfried@posteo.de> wrote:

> Hi Guixers,
>

> somebody wrote to me to do a:
>

> export LC_ALL=C
>

> to get the output in English, because I am using German.
>

> Unfortunatelly I lost this email.

What I do is set the LANG variable to C. For example, in a terminal, you'd run:

  LANG=C guix describe

And you'd get the output in English only for that command. If you run it again
without the "LANG=C" part, you should see the output in German.

I see the value C as "the language or locale in which programs were originally
written". In this case it is English because Guix is written in English.

You can use the same trick to use programs in any of the languages they are
localized to. For example, the following prints the output in French:

  LANG=fr_FR.utf8 guix describe

To find out what kind of values you can pass to LANG, you can run the following
command:

  locale --all

That command is provided by the package "gcc-toolchain".

Hope that helps,