Re: Package renpy broken?

From: Wojtek Kosior
Subject: Re: Package renpy broken?
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2022 17:29:12 +0200

Hi Christian,

I know nothing about Ren'Py and TFD but it seems there's an
approachable workaround - you can modify the package to patch
launcher/game/choose_directory.rpy to have a suitable directory used.

First, I'd suggest you look at how some existing packages use the
`substitute*` macro[1]. Then, look at how packages are defined[2] and
how to *inherit* from another package[3].

Once you grasp a bit of it, you should be able to define your own
variant of the Ren'Py package. One without the bug.

I realize it's probably a bit discouraging to come to a new distro and
find out you need to learn packaging to utilize it. Indeed, I wish I
had more time to prepare such modified package for you. Yet, honestly,
Guix is a geeky package manager - you can only benefit from its
super-powers once you're yourself Guix geek ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Good luck :)

Wojtek

P.S. If TFD are really free as in freedom, it'd be cool to have the
package fixed to actually use them. But that might be more involving
than merely patching a path...

[1]
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/gnu/packages/game-development.scm?id=779757047997d315d899b40c199be3709115cce4#n171
[2]
https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Defining-Packages.html#Defining-Packages
[3] https://guix.gnu.org/en/cookbook/en/guix-cookbook.html#Inheritance

-- (sig_start)
website: https://koszko.org/koszko.html
PGP: https://koszko.org/key.gpg
fingerprint: E972 7060 E3C5 637C 8A4F  4B42 4BC5 221C 5A79 FD1A

Meet Kraków saints!           #3: blessed Bernardyna Maria Jabłońska
Poznaj świętych krakowskich!  #3: błogosławiona Bernardyna Maria Jabłońska
https://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernardyna_Maria_Jabłońska
-- (sig_end)