"guix system init" from regular system fails

From: li
Subject: "guix system init" from regular system fails
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2022 23:29:26 +0200

Hello,

  I am trying to prepare a new system on new drive from my current Guix
installation, i.e., the first way mentioned in (info "(guix)System
Images").  The documentation at (info "(guix)Invoking guix system)") is
sparse, so I followed those in (info "(guix)Manual Installation"), which
I have successfully done before a couple of times.

  I have made sure the partitions are mounted (/ and /boot/efi @ /mnt
and /mnt/boot/efi) and that that they are correctly configured in
/mnt/etc/config.scm.

  The only difference is that I did not run "herd start cow-store /mnt".
That service is only available when using the installer.  I also believe
that it is not necessary because the documentation says that

> This makes ‘/gnu/store’ copy-on-write, such that packages added to it
> during the installation phase are written to the target disk on ‘/mnt’
> rather than kept in memory.  This is necessary because the first phase
> of the ‘guix system init’ command (see below) entails downloads or
> builds to ‘/gnu/store’ which, initially, is an in-memory file system.

  In this case /gnu/store is not an in-memory file system, so I assume
this is not necessary.  But maybe something equivalent is necessary?

  "sudo guix system init /mnt/etc/config.scm /mnt" succeeds quickly
with output:

<...snip...>
/gnu/store/dhk4hrjpqfcph2alliwg18iiqwc3j86x-system
/gnu/store/q6b71455an8dl1hg8y859rkja22fxk4j-grub.cfg

initializing operating system under '/mnt/'...
copying to '/mnt'...
populating '/mnt'...
The following derivation will be built:
  /gnu/store/sjg10gcq9m88ad7q3znqxfc7qyq4aq8j-install-bootloader.scm.drv

building
/gnu/store/sjg10gcq9m88ad7q3znqxfc7qyq4aq8j-install-bootloader.scm.drv...
guix system: bootloader successfully installed on /boot/efi

  After this /mnt/gnu/store is populated and the bootloader also appears
to be installed.  However, this is not a usable system. /mnt/{bin,etc,
home,run} are all empty (except for /mnt/etc/config.scm).  Where did I
go wrong?

  Thanks for your help!