Re: How to use/install rust nightly on guix ?

From: phodina
Subject: Re: How to use/install rust nightly on guix ?
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2022 10:04:09 +0000

Hi,

> Hello guys,
> Any ideas for the best way to install rust nightly on guix ? I don't find it
> in the guix channel, neither rustup.
> I need rust nightly to compile a certain project (this one :
> https://github.com/paritytech/substrate).
>
> Thanks,
> Mohamed Amine LEGHERABA

Not sure it's what you asked but my workflow with Rust is to create/clone Rust
package. Then create Guix package with source pointing to that directory and
adding all the build dependencies (plus all other fields package should have).
The last part is to enable the RUSTC_BOOTSTRAP=1 environment variable in the
arguments after unpack phase. [1]

> The build system sets RUSTC_BOOTSTRAP=1. This special variable means to break
> the stability guarantees of rust: Allow using #![feature(...)] with a
> compiler that's not nightly. This should never be used except when
> bootstrapping the compiler.

It's a hack that works for now but haven't found a better way yet.

Last step is to run:
guix shell -D PKG

This gives you environment to test the build locally.

----
Petr