Re: unbound variable

From: Felix Lechner
Subject: Re: unbound variable
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2022 06:48:49 -0700

Hi Gottfried,

On Wed, Nov 2, 2022 at 5:50 AM Gottfried <gottfried@posteo.de> wrote:

> If e.g. I have a different printer (e.g. from an other company), and I
> want to install it,

That is a CUPS question. As you can imagine, there are lots of
printers. I usually look at which format the printer speaks, and how
it likes to communicate. Basic formats are PCL and Postscript, with
PCL being faster but less cool. My favorite communication for
networked printers is Port 9100, which I think used to be called
JetDirect, but there are others.

There is also USB (and parallel, if your printer is really old).

My own printer is reasonably well supported by CUPS alone, although I
might find a more capable PPD via hplip. RIght now, it's not worth my
time to go further. You, too, may be looking at a compromise.

For printers with their own data format, you may need Gutenprint,
which I believe is not packaged in Guix. More importantly, I believe
there are significant hurdles to packaging because there are so many
paths to replace.

Hope that helps.

Kind regards
Felix Lechner