Re: Error using gcc with trivial-build-system

From: Emmanuel Medernach
Subject: Re: Error using gcc with trivial-build-system
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2022 15:48:34 +0100

Hi Emmanuel!

On 2022-11-08 11:23, Emmanuel Medernach wrote:
I have a local package with a compile script that
I need to add to our local GUIX packages.

(Nitpick: Guix isn't a acronym.  Never has been.)

I tried to use trivial-build-system with
gcc-toolchain input, all works well when I compile
it manually in a 'guix shell'

Because ‘guix shell’ sets up a proper profile; quite unlike the trivial-build-system.

Using trivial-build-system here *is* the bug.  It's not a starter kit for building better things; it's for trivial packages that don't need building.

Rather than waste your time fighting that fact, use the gnu-build-system.  It is that starter kit.

If your tarball doesn't provide some standard GNU things like ./configure or ‘make check’, that's quite common.  You can simply (delete 'configure), set #:tests? #f, etc.

Thanks for your help, I will use the gnu-build-system and customize it as you suggest.

About customizing I have another question, at the end of the build I have messages like:

warning: collision encountered: ...

I would prefer to manage myself what is copied to the profile or what is not and where, is it possible ?

Emmanuel

Happy building,

T G-R

Sent from a Web browser.  Excuse or enjoy my brevity.