Re: guix builds the old guix version

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: guix builds the old guix version
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2022 11:39:05 +0100

Hi Adam,

> I pulled the guix channel, reconfigured my system and cleaned my storage.
> But when I am trying to "guix build guix", I am getting this version
> guix-1.3.0-32.682639c which is old. What I need to do to build an
> actual guix version? (for now it is b4e3e02)

This is expected.  The Guix repository contains a package definition for
“guix”, which is a particular version, which necessarily must be older
than the version of Guix you’ve pulled.

The “guix” package can be used as a library by other packages, and it is
updated occasionally.

If you really do need to build the current version of Guix with Guix
then do

    guix build -e '((@ (gnu packages package-management) current-guix))'

There are only few valid use cases that require one to build the latest
version of Guix that are not served better by using “guix pull”.

--
Ricardo