Re: geiser-edit-symbol-at-point

From: Jake Shilling
Subject: Re: geiser-edit-symbol-at-point
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2022 09:31:40 -0500

I don't really have anything helpful to add, except that I believe
geiser doesn't work the way SLIME or LSP does, where there's some
process parsing a project with semantic awareness. Instead it just
launches guile (or some other repl) and parses the prompt string. As far
as I know it is really just sending text back and forth between a
scheme-mode buffer and a runing repl.

The load path has to be set for each project because the guile repl
isn't aware of any project structure that a particular file is a part
of. It is simply going to parse whatever text it's sent within the
context of whatever %load-path it was initialized with. That %load-path
can either be set with the GUILE_LOAD_PATH env variable or by
geiser-guile-load-path which affects how geiser launches guile.

The way I handle this is by making sure that
${HOME}/.config/guix/current/share/guile/site/3.0 is in my
GUILE_LOAD_PATH so that whatever channels I've pulled in the current
profile are included in any guile repl I start. This gets around needing
to have the guix source cloned down somewhere else. When I'm working on
my configuration files, I have a toplevel script which updates the
%load-path:

```
(when (current-filename)
  (add-to-load-path
   (dirname (current-filename))))
```

So when I load that file into the repl with C-c C-l all the subsequent
use-modules work.

--
Best regards,
Jake Shilling