Re: geiser-edit-symbol-at-point

From: Jake Shilling
Subject: Re: geiser-edit-symbol-at-point
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2022 10:16:33 -0500

On 2022-11-14 09:01, jgart@dismail.de wrote:

> On Sat, 12 Nov 2022 10:48:54 -0500 Jake Shilling <shilling.jake@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> If I'm reading this right, I belive that this macro is looking for the
>> 'add-after symbol--as a symbol--and not looking for any value referenced
>> by it.
>
> Does geiser work on the macroexpanded forms in %modify-phases that are
> not macros?

It does for me. Here's a snippet from the file I tested on:

```
(arguments
     `(#:bootstrap-scripts (list "autogen")
       #:make-flags (list "-C" "utils")
       #:configure-flags (list "--enable-start-stop-daemon"
                               "--disable-update-alternatives")
       #:phases
       (modify-phases %standard-phases
         (add-before 'bootstrap 'patch-autogen-shebang
           (lambda* (#:key bootstrap-scripts #:allow-other-keys)
             (for-each patch-shebang (append bootstrap-scripts))
             (let ((get-version "printf \"%s\" \"1.20.12\"")
                   (port (open-file "get-version" "w")))
               (format port get-version)
               (close-port port))))
         (add-after 'configure 'build-lib
           (lambda* (#:rest _)
             (invoke "make" "-C" "lib"))))))
```

If I evaluate this file, then call `geiser-edit-symbol-at-point` on
`invoke` in the last line, I get taken to `guix/build/utils.scm` as
expected. None of the standard guile functions work for me though; if I
try to navigate to `close-port` or `for-each` nothing happens. I can run
C-c C-d C-d on any of those, however, and navigate from the
documentation to the manual.

I also want to clarify that this does work for me on the macro itself,
`modify-phases`, just not on the symbols used by the macro for pattern
matching (`add-before`, `add-after`, etc).

--
Best regards,
Jake Shilling