Re: build all dependents?

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: build all dependents?
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2022 10:47:27 +0100

Hi,

On Tue, 22 Nov 2022 at 20:55, Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <me@tobias.gr> wrote:
>> This sometimes requires some manual fiddling
>
> Thanks for highlighting that.  I've never encountered it.
>
> This is similar to another recent bug report, where ‘guix show’
> listed something as depending on a hidden package.  Or something
> like that.

If you are referring to bug#59278, the bug is on the package definition
side.  As explained here [1], the ’hidden’ properties is dropped out at
one ’inherit’.

1: http://issues.guix.gnu.org/msgid/87h6yz46wp.fsf@gmail.com

> Two possible solutions:
>
> - Hide hidden packages.  This makes the most sense to me.  You'd
>   still report accurate[0] numbers for ‘guix refresh -l’.
>
> - Allow referring to hidden packages in some contexts, or maybe
>   all contexts, and keep listing them in ‘advanced’ tools like
>   ‘guix refresh -l’.

I agree that what is hidden is not clear.  Maybe a marker could be added
when displaying the hidden packages in “guix refresh -l”.  It would
allow to filter them out.

Or we could separate the regular packages to the hidden one,

$ guix refresh -l guile-ssh
Building the following 19 packages would ensure 26 dependent packages are
rebuilt: emacs-guix@0.5.2-6.cf5b7a4 guile-imanifest@0.0.0-0.ccd5a21
cl-ospm@0.0.1 gwl@0.5.0 guix-jupyter@0.2.2 guix-build-coordinator@0-65.26fe4a7
guix-build-coordinator-agent-only@0-65.26fe4a7 gwl-next@0.5.0-1.706a089
nar-herder@0-9.5acfcc0 guix-modules@0.1.0 hpcguix-web@0.2.0
guix-data-service@0.0.1-33.ee73d2c numix-gtk-theme@2.6.7 arc-theme@20220405
gnome-shell-extension-gsconnect@50 gnome-terminal@3.44.1 gnome@42.4
cuirass@1.1.0-11.9f08035 '(@@ (gnu packages package-management) guix-daemon)'

Well, maybe a rework of the submission #58824 [1].

1: <http://issues.guix.gnu.org/msgid/20221027212706.21680-1-paren@disroot.org>

Cheers,
simon