How do I install a file with custom permissions?

From: Timo Wilken
Subject: How do I install a file with custom permissions?
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2022 20:24:13 +0100

Hi Guixers,

I'm trying to patch the `wireguard-service-type' to accept pre-shared
keys and add them to the generated config. This all seems to work
fine, except that I can't get guix to generate a non-world-readable
configuration file.

I've tried adding a `(chmod port #o400)' call to the end of the lambda
that generates the config file (gnu/services/vpn.scm lines 784-838),
but that seems to have no effect -- the resulting file at
/gnu/store/...-wireguard-config/wg0.conf is still
world-readable. Adding `(chmod #$config-file #o400)' after the
`call-with-output-file' call doesn't work either.

What do I need to do to make guix install the generated config file
with 0400 permissions?

Cheers,
Timo