Re: GNU Guix 1.4.0rc1 available for testing!

From: Kaelyn
Subject: Re: GNU Guix 1.4.0rc1 available for testing!
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2022 16:25:33 +0000

------- Original Message -------
On Saturday, December 3rd, 2022 at 9:50 AM, zimoun <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Fri, 02 Dec 2022 at 17:17, Ahmed Khanzada me@enzu.ru wrote:
>
> > How can I switch my current GNU Guix installation over to 1.4?
> > Afterwards, how could I switch it back? Is that all safe to do so?
>

> I guess some usual,
>
> guix pull --branch=version-1.4.0
> guix system reconfigure
>
> then
>
> guix pull --roll-back
> guix system reconfigure

As a side note, if you use GRUB as your bootloader, you can select an alternate
menu entry to temporarily switch to an older generation. You can also roll back
to the previous system generations with:

  guix system roll-back

> Well, I think it should be possible using “guix time-machine”, something
> like,
>
> guix time-machine --branch=version-1.4.0 -- system reconfigure
>
> but then I do not know how it goes for switching back.

I've not tried guix time-machine to reconfigure a system, but once it is done,
the same "guix system roll-back" should work for switching back to your
previous system generation (pre-1.4.0-branch).

HTH!

Cheers,
Kaelyn