How to make audio devices available with guix shell --container

From: Elias Kueny
Subject: How to make audio devices available with guix shell --container
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2022 17:41:14 +0000

Hello,

I'm trying to run an online videoconferencing tool in chromium in a guix shell
with a container, so I expose my system as little as possible. All is well
without the --container option, but I'm not sure what to expose to make it work
in the container too.

I'm on guix system. I'm starting the software with: `guix shell --container -N -P
--no-cwd --preserve='^DISPLAY$' --preserve='^XAUTHORITY$' --share=$XAUTHORITY
--share=/dev/video0 ungoogled-chromium -- chromium --app="https://meet.jit.si"`.

`--preserve='^DISPLAY$' --preserve='^XAUTHORITY$' --share=$XAUTHORITY` lets
chromium open an X window and share the scren.
`--share=/dev/video0` gives access to the webcam.
What is the step to allow the microphone and speakers?

I'm not particularly familiar with how audio devices are working. I read they
are in /dev/snd, but sharing this or even the whole of /dev/ doesn't make the
microphone and speakers available (although the browser is now asking me for
the permission to access them, so it seems aware I have them). I also tried
adding tinyalsa and pulseaudio to the container in case that's what's missing,
but to no avail. I didn't explicitely install anything related to audio (but I
have %desktop-services in my operating-system definition), so if it's a
software that is missing, I don't know which one.

Thank you in advance!