Re: Using Makefile to run guix shell?

From: Wojtek Kosior
Subject: Re: Using Makefile to run guix shell?
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2022 22:01:21 +0100

> > Why not just do:
> >
> >   guix shell -- make metadata
>
> I do like the idea of not making it depend on guix.
>
> One of the things I am trying to avoid, though, is typing long
> guix commands.
>
> When I type "make guix-shell", what I really want is something
> like:
>
> guix-shell:
>   guix time-machine -C channels.scm -- shell --pure --check -m
>   manifest.scm
>
> Or if I am doing embedded work I might want type "make
> serial-shell" to do something like:
>
> serial-shell:
>   guix time-machine -C channels.scm -- shell -m manifest.scm
>   --container --expose=$(PORT) picocom -- picocom -b 9600 -f n -y
>   n -d 8 -p 1 -c $(PORT)
>
> I guess I am just curious how other people manage such long
> commands?

I recently came up with the same solution as you[1][2] :)

I haven't considered hard requirement on Guix a major issue. But I did
for a moment think about another solution to the same problem. I
believe it'd be possible to use a mere shell script instead of
a Makefile. Or a mere guile script or Python script (setup.py on
steroids?) :)

Wojtek

[1] https://git.koszko.org/pydrilla/
[2] https://git.koszko.org/koszko-org-server/

-- (sig_start)
website: https://koszko.org/koszko.html
PGP: https://koszko.org/key.gpg
fingerprint: E972 7060 E3C5 637C 8A4F  4B42 4BC5 221C 5A79 FD1A

Meet Kraków saints!           #21: saint Kazimierz
Poznaj świętych krakowskich!  #21: święty Kazimierz
https://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Święty_Kazimierz
-- (sig_end)