Re: Using Makefile to run guix shell?

From: Peter Polidoro
Subject: Re: Using Makefile to run guix shell?
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2022 09:21:42 -0500

where I try to decouple what requires Guix and what not. Well, I have
not tried, but the idea is then to run:

    $ guix-serial-shell.sh make serial-shell

where the Makefile contains the rule:

    serial-shell:
       picocom -b 9600 -f n -y n -d 8 -p 1 -c $(PORT)

I really like your approach and your directory layout, thank you.

So you are not concerned about Makefile conflicts or using Make in ways that may not have been intended? Maybe I should just learn to stop worrying and love the Makefile.

It does seem to add lots of complication in order to decouple Guix from the Makefile, though, with all the extra shell scripts and commands. In general I like the idea of software units being decoupled, but realistically I never want to go back to life before Guix. Spending too much effort making it work without Guix just encourages other people to use bad practices I am starting to think.

I do not know enough about writing Makefiles, but is there a way to chain together the rules and targets so you could either use Guix or not, like a "make serial-shell" and a "make guix-serial-shell" with the latter prepending "guix time-machine..." to the serial-shell command?