Re: Using Makefile to run guix shell?

From: Wojtek Kosior
Subject: Re: Using Makefile to run guix shell?
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2022 16:30:08 +0100

> I do not know enough about writing Makefiles, but is there a way
> to chain together the rules and targets so you could either use
> Guix or not, like a "make serial-shell" and a "make
> guix-serial-shell" with the latter prepending "guix
> time-machine..." to the serial-shell command?

How about sth like

#+begin_src makefile
something:
        @ echo "Doing something"

guix-something:
        guix shell coreutils -- $(MAKE) something

.PHONY: something guix-something
#+end_src

Assuming you did put the above under /tmp you can try it out like this

#+begin_example
/tmp$ make something
Doing something
/tmp$ make guix-something
guix shell coreutils -- make something
make[1]: Entering directory '/tmp'
Doing something
make[1]: Leaving directory '/tmp'
#+end_example

This is great for phony targets (i.e. ones that are not intended to
produce a file with the same name as the target). You're also not
forbidden from making `guix-` variants for non-phony targets the same
way. Although then the `guix-` variant will end up being phony anyway
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

-- (sig_start)
website: https://koszko.org/koszko.html
PGP: https://koszko.org/key.gpg
fingerprint: E972 7060 E3C5 637C 8A4F  4B42 4BC5 221C 5A79 FD1A

Meet Kraków saints!           #37: blessed Michał Tomaszek
Poznaj świętych krakowskich!  #37: błogosławiony Michał Tomaszek
https://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michał_Tomaszek
-- (sig_end)