Re: Using Makefile to run guix shell?

From: Peter Polidoro
Subject: Re: Using Makefile to run guix shell?
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2022 12:55:39 -0500

Because calling “guix serial-shell PORT=/dev/ttyUSB0” or
“guix-serial-shell PORT=/dev/ttyUSB0” is almost identical. :-)

Yes good point.

So the true question is how to implement?  If using Shell script

Using shell scripts would mean one script per command? I usually have a set of commands that I would like to be able to run for every project. I would like to minimize the number of extra files in my project directory, so I would lean towards your Scheme API option.

From my point of view, in this case, maybe an extension is a heavy
solution when a quick script would just smooth the workflow.

Maybe it is too heavy a solution, but I do like the idea of just needing the channels.scm, the guix.scm, and maybe a Makefile for people who do not use guix. Or am I wrong and I would need more files than that?

I also like that a user could find information about the project commands using guix help. Can command extensions be grouped into a single sub-command so I would not feel like I am polluting the guix command namespace? Like could I run something like "guix project serial-shell PORT=/dev/ttyUSB0" or "guix project help" to get the set of project-specific commands that I added as extensions?

Is there some sort of extension bootstrap process where you run an intial command in the project directory every session to add the extensions, then the extensions are available for future commands?