Re: Help packaging R Quarto Cli

From: Wojtek Kosior
Subject: Re: Help packaging R Quarto Cli
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2022 18:45:09 +0100

> Yes, you’re right i correct this thing, but this is weird in all case, here i
> clone all deno repository (at tag v1.25.2), and this is renamed as
> `deno-test-util-checkout-0-1-0' because i’m only interested by this folder
>
> <https://git.sr.ht/~reyman/rust-channel/commit/00e9ef93bbe5a853b8a196305b6d86451c036156>

Ah, I see why you wanted a name like this. Well, since the sources are
the same as those of rust-deno, perhaps it would make sense to use the
same origin as in rust-deno recipe?

But don't worry about this now. Your build of rust-deno-test-util
evidently worked so cleaning up origin definitions can wait until
everything else works :)

> I found only one crate that use this method `git-fetch' in the list :
> <https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/gnu/packages/crates-io.scm#n1576>

There are plenty in other package definition files, e.g. in
gnu/packages/python-xyz.scm. It seems Rust is just that special case
where git checkout is rarely needed.

> So i suppose this is possible to reuse as a dependency in another build…
>
> This is an intuition but i think i have a problem of ordering in my way to do
> things :
>
> When i read the `cargo-build-system' sources here (
> <https://github.com/ecbrown/guix/blob/master/guix/build/cargo-build-system.scm#L76>
>  ) i see that the build input wait for an /gnu/store link that contain a
> `.crate' or the equivalent as `tar.gz'
>
> Or in my case, the /gnu/store link called by cargo contain only sources,
> because the `deno-util' need to be built before creating .crate into the
> gnu/store. Perhaps i could cheating the system by providing myself a
> `gnu/store/xxxx.tar.gz' that contain this sources.
>
> Inside my `rust-deno-test-util-1-0-0.scm` file i could  `(invoke tar ...)'
> command to generate a tar.gz at the root of the this folder. Do you think
> that could work ?
>
> Hum, not sure … the real problem is the fact that guix don’t build the
> derivation completely? (creating and storing a .crate for
> deno-test-util-0-1-0 into /gnu/store) when i run build of main rust-deno.scm
> … only the source are present, and not the package resulting from the build
> of this derivation.
>
> Another way is to first compile deno-test-util.scm, that install the
> corresponding crate into /gnu/store, and after that i give this local path to
> the inputs of my main rust-deno.scm . But i don’t know how to give this path
> to my cargo build system input .

I'm getting a bit lost in trying to figure out what you think right
now. The
`/gnu/store/ma04jfp0f33kf38cdn66qai60nhqxx7d-rust-deno-test-util-0.1.0/`
was a proper build of your `rust-deno-test-util` package and it
contains a proper crate under `share/cargo/registry/`. Code in
`cargo-build-system.scm` looks for crates in subdirectory
`share/cargo/registry/` of every rust input package — all seems correct
under the assumption that we want test_util to be supplied to deno
build as a separate Guix package.

It's perhaps possible to achieve success with this assumption (I don't
know) but I wanted to instead suggest not creating a separate Guix
package nor derivation for test_util. That's what I meant when I wrote
"it seems awkward to be required to provide the test_util package as a
separate crate". Sorry if I accidently mislead you with this.

Earlier you wrote

> This nested crate package is not detected/compiled by actual
> `cargo-build-system’, so i decide to package it myself , as
> `rust-deno-test-util-0.1.0’

What seems to be the most straightforward and promising way is to
(somehow?) fix the build system to detect the nested package. I know,
it's easy to say — and you surely made extensive attempts before
falling back to creating an extra definition for rust-deno-test-util.
Hopefully, inspection of the build container will help shed some light
on this.

Also, the git-fetch issues will become nonexistent if you manage to do
it this way :)

Since your rust-deno recipe uses `(method url-fetch)` with
`(crate-uri)`, I'm starting to wonder if the tarball that's being used
in this case contains exactly the same files as the git checkout. I
earlier assumed that it does when I suggested reusing the origin in
your rust-deno-test-util recipe. But perhaps it doesn't? I could
imagine deno devs omitting e.g. `test_util/` from the source tarball
they upload to the crates repo.

> How do you reference/call/reuse a package that already exist in your
> /gnu/store in a .scm file ?

You don't :)

That's the point of a functional package manager - there's never need
to *explicitly* reference files in the store. They are always referenced
indirectly through packages, derivations, plain-file's, gexps, etc. And
they get created or reused automatically.

Wojtek

-- (sig_start)
website: https://koszko.org/koszko.html
PGP: https://koszko.org/key.gpg
fingerprint: E972 7060 E3C5 637C 8A4F  4B42 4BC5 221C 5A79 FD1A

Meet Kraków saints!           #25: blessed Maksymilian Binkiewicz
Poznaj świętych krakowskich!  #25: błogosławiony Maksymilian Binkiewicz
https://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maksymilian_Binkiewicz
-- (sig_end)