Few questions regarding the installation

From: Wolf
Subject: Few questions regarding the installation
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2022 01:01:48 +0100

Hello,

I started experimenting with Guix (currently just trying to install
new system inside a qemu) and I have couple questions regarding the
installation process.

For my setup, I want to use LVM, so I'm glad it is distributed on the
installation image. However, I have a hard time actually using it. It
seems to be available both as lvm2 and lvm2-static:

    root@gnu ~# find / -name pvcreate -executable

/gnu/store/84nrv3kl3vvsrwknnccnhjal6z7iksxc-lvm2-static-2.03.11/sbin/pvcreate
    /gnu/store/vsxqa1l3p800flfzrq9vzq3v8bi0pfb7-lvm2-2.03.11/sbin/pvcreate

But it is not on the path:

    root@gnu ~# pvcreate
    bash: pvcreate: command not found

I'm currently calling it using

    # /gnu/store/*-lvm2-s*/sbin/pvcreate /dev/mapper/foo

But I will be the first one to admit that it is not a great way. So
what would be a better way to either call it or add it into the path?

On IRC I was advised to try guix install lvm2-static, which does work
(after sourcing the profile), however it does download the package
from the internet. That seems pointless, since I already have one
locally (as seen in the output of find above), so I would prefer to
use that one.

Another question is how to undo the effect of running herd start
cow-store /mnt. I did try the obvious (herd stop cow-store), but that
does not seem to do the trick. So, how can I do it?

Thank you,
W.

--
There are only two hard things in Computer Science:
cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.