Re: Few questions regarding the installation

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
Subject: Re: Few questions regarding the installation
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2022 03:41:17 +0100

Hi Wolf,

Wolf 写道:
But it is not on the path:

    root@gnu ~# pvcreate
    bash: pvcreate: command not found

Indeed, lvm2(-static) wasn't actually installed on the installation image!

Commit 0906ce7389c6654fa3d1b3b52c8330eff0256264 fixes that:

 root@gnu ~# which pvcreate
 /run/current-system/profile/sbin/pvcreate

On IRC I was advised to try guix install lvm2-static, which does work (after sourcing the profile), however it does download the package
from the internet.

The installer image was generated using ‘guix system image’ with particular Guix version N. Hence, all packages inside that image are those from Guix version N. (In Guix, there is no ‘package repository’ distributed separately from the ‘package manager’.) These packages include the image's ‘guix’ package itself.

Hence, the ‘guix’ you can run in the image will always be older than the Guix that put lvm2-static in the image, and may contain older versions of some packages.

You'll have Guix N's lvm2-static in /gnu/store, but ‘guix install lvm2-static’ will install Guix N-1's version. They might match, they might not. I guess here they didn't.

That seems pointless, since I already have one locally (as seen in the output of find above), so I would prefer to
use that one.

You can simply

 root@gnu ~# guix install /gnu/store/84n[…]-lvm2-static-2.03.1

That might still download $things for $reasons, but they won't include lvm2-static.

Another question is how to undo the effect of running herd start
cow-store /mnt. I did try the obvious (herd stop cow-store), but that
does not seem to do the trick. So, how can I do it?

This I don't know either.  I always just reboot.

Kind regards,

T G-R