Re: installing of two versions of package Musescore

From: Gottfried
Subject: Re: installing of two versions of package Musescore
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2022 14:19:39 +0000

Hi Csepp,

this was anyhow my question.

In general you do not need to install packages under development in your
main profile.  It would be better to either put it in a separate profile
or use a temporary shell every time and put the package definition in a
manifest or script.

Until now I installed everything in my main profile

1.  I don't know yet how to create a profile/manifest.

I was reading the cookbook and the manual already several times about that, but it seems to me difficult.

2.  If I create an other profile through a manifest
what is the benefit of it in my case?

3. I would have to put all my 60 packages there (how?) and if I download an other package, would I have to create the manifest again and again?

4. And if I want to update the packages, lets say every second week, then I would have to create the manifest again every second week.

5. Would I then have to uninstall all my installed packages in the main profile, in order not to have it twice?

6. How could I then use my manifest? Which commands would I have to use to open it and to use my packages?

Kind regards

Gottfried