Re: installing of two versions of package Musescore

From: Csepp
Subject: Re: installing of two versions of package Musescore
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2022 15:47:24 +0100

Gottfried <gottfried@posteo.de> writes:

> [[PGP Signed Part:Undecided]]
> Hi Csepp
>
> thanks for your answer
>
>> I'd leave 3.6.2 in my default profile.
>
> Does this mean, every time I am doing a
>
> guix pull
>
> and
>
> guix package --upgrade
>
> I have to add:
>
>  --do-not-upgrade musescore
>
> so that musescore stays at the version 3.6.2 ?
>
> (If I forget to add this, than it will upgrade to version 3.4
> and I can than only switch back one generation and do the
> guix package --upgrade --do-not-upgrade musescore
> again)
> Is it like this?
>
> Gottfried

Well, it will also not upgrade its dependencies in that case.  If you
want to use an old version forever, sure, you can use --do-not-upgrade,
but you could also pin the source to an old version.
For that you would use the --with-branch=musescore=v3.6.2
transformation... I think.
I recommend reading the info page on defining package variants.