Error in service module upon first login as root

From: Nathan Henrie
Subject: Error in service module upon first login as root
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2022 13:03:15 -0700

Hello — I’m trying my first guix system install, on an older Acer laptop). The
installer image seems to work fine so I had high hopes that the hardware would
be compatible. I’m using the console-based installation which makes it easier
to use a BTRFS root with my preferred subvolume layout.

Unfortunately, when I reboot into the installed image I try to log in with
`root` and it flashes `Error in service module` and returns to the login
screen. I can’t yet log in as my user as a password is not yet configured (it
looks like the usual flow is to first log in as root and `passwd`). The machine
doesn’t have Ethernet, and I don’t have WiFi configured yet (to try to ssh and
debug).

Any ideas? This is the config I’m using, just a few basic packages on a BTRFS
layout (I also tried with ext4 and had a similar result).

https://paste.debian.net/hidden/78313f40/

Many thanks for ideas on how to debug this!

Nate