Re: PinePhone Pro & Guix

From: phodina
Subject: Re: PinePhone Pro & Guix
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2022 20:18:30 +0000

Hello,

> Hi all, I'm trying to write a guix code that will generate images for
> pinephone pro. Can anyone share the config .scm file if anyone has done it?
> Thanks.

I do have same interest in mind. The bigger issue I'd say is to have working
mobile UI environment as the console would otherwise be useless.

There are two possibilites:
- Plasma mobile [1][2]
- Phosh [3][4]

None of the above currently works in Guix.

Recently also Gnome Shell, but that I haven't yet tested. [5]

After these environments are running in Guix we can look into the hardware. The
biggest drawback I'd say is that's still development platform. Sure you can use
it daily but the mileage varies from Android or iOS (mainly power and
peripherals such as camera)[6]. Though the work already done is amazing and
continues to improve!

Besides the code not yet being merged in the upstream kernel there's another
issue.

Without the issue you won't be able to have bluetooth, WiFI, USB peripherals
(probably more like fingerprint, nfc).

Definitely having libre phone is admirable goal but it's not possible under
current circumstances.

The best way is to have Guix on foreign distibution.

There's similar project in the NixOS world, might check that. [7]

Or just use PostmarketOS. [8][9]

The last issue is probably running Android apps using Waydroid. [10]

FIY I've been putting together the definition for the Pine64 products on
nonguix channel :-)

1 https://issues.guix.gnu.org/57608
2 https://plasma-mobile.org/
3 https://issues.guix.gnu.org/44400