Re: installing of two versions of package Musescore

From: Csepp
Subject: Re: installing of two versions of package Musescore
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2022 12:30:34 +0100

Wojtek Kosior <koszko@koszko.org> writes:

> [[PGP Signed Part:Undecided]]
> Hi Gottfried,
>
>> 3.  I want to have "Musescore3.6.2" as the name of this profile, so that
>> I quickly now what is in there. Is that possible? If not how this
>> profile is specified to see the difference to my main profile?
>>
>> 4.  what should I write in  "path/to/profile"
>> because AFAIU the profile will be in
>> /etc/
>>
>> like this?:
>>
>> profileMusescore3.6.2
>>
>> /etc/profileMusescore3.6.2
>>
>> "guix package --profileMusescore3.6.2=/etc/profileMusescore3.6.2"
>
> Good news for you — the profile does not need to reside under `/etc/`.
> In fact, it would be abnormal to have a non-root user's profile there
> since `/etc/` is usually only writeable by root.
>
> User's profiles usually live somewhere under the user's HOME directory.
> I'd personally choose a path like `~/.guix-profiles/musescore-3.6.2`.
> Someone else would perhaps use `~/.config/guix/Musescore3.6.2`. Just
> pick what you like the most.

I usually put them in project specific directories, like so:
"$HOME/Graphics/.guix-profile"
"$HOME/Projects/Advent of Code/2022/.guix-profile"
and so on...

I find that it's much easier to use than if they were centralized under
one directory, because this way they are close to the project they
correspond to.

Also, a useful command to know:
guix package --list-profiles