Possible sources of environment variables

From: Tirifto
Subject: Possible sources of environment variables
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2022 17:12:32 +0000

Hello! I have a small problem that’s a bit odd, perhaps. I have some
environment variables defined to include Guix-related paths, but I have no
idea where they’re being defined.

I was sourcing the ‘~/.guix-profile/etc/profile’ file from my ‘~/.profile’,
but after I commented that part of my ‘~/.profile’ out, I’m still getting the
Guix-related paths in $GDK_PIXBUF_MODULE_FILE, $PATH, and $XDG_DATA_DIRS (all
of which are defined in the Guix profile file), but also in $INFOPATH (which
is not in the Guix profile file). I don’t remember ever defining these
variables anywhere; sourcing the Guix profile from my shell profile is all
that I recall ever doing.

I do define some other Guix-related variables manually, but all of those
concern locales or certificates for various programs. I wish to undo the other
paths being set by/for Guix, to make my environment temporarily unaware of
Guix even being installed, for troubleshooting purposes, but I can’t find out
how.

I’m running Guix as a supplementary package manager on OpenSUSE 15.4, with KDE
as my desktop environment. I suppose this might not be Guix at fault, but just
me overlooking something while setting it up, or the host system doing
something I’m not familiar with, but perhaps someone has had a similar
experience? Any clues would be much appreciated!

Best of wishes
// Tirifto