Re: Python packages

From: Wojtek Kosior
Subject: Re: Python packages
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2023 17:20:47 +0100

Thanks for the details, Moritz. I'll try to clarify everything for you.
Although you sent your response just to me, I'm adding the help-guix
mailing list back into the CC field of the email (so that others can
see and perhaps add some useful advice at some point).

So, Guix uses its own repository for packages. Although it is a special
kind of package manager (a transactional one), in this specific regard
it is just as every conventional distro's package manager (e.g. APT,
RPM) — it needs given program to be packaged by someone and added to
its repository for it to be directly available to users. Apparently,
nobody has packaged WFDB yet, hence `guix search` gives you nothing.

`guix import`, on the other hand, is a tool meant for people who want
to package stuff by themselves. Its target audience is both packagers
and advanced users who are able and willing to package the missing
software by themselves. In fact, those 2 roles can (and should) overlap
:)

So, `guix import` is a tool that just aids in making a Guix package. It
tries to guess some things and it cannot guarantee it will guess
correctly (since sources like PyPI often lack all the information
required to automatically make a working package). The generated .scm
files are therefore meant to be reviewed and edited by the user.

Once you get everything to work, you can (and are encouraged to) help
others by submitting the new package definition for inclusion in Guix.
This, of course, requires a bit more effort (cloning the Guix' git repo,
placing your package definition in the proper file under
`gnu/packages/`, etc. More information here[1]. Once you get through
this, others will be able to `guix search` the package :)

Don't be surprised if many useful pieces of software are not yet in
Guix. You can look up the number of packages in Guix, Debian and NixOS.
Guix is a younger distro and therefore has way fewer packages ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I hope I helped

Wojtek

[1] https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Contributing.html

-- (sig_start)
website: https://koszko.org/koszko.html
PGP: https://koszko.org/key.gpg
fingerprint: E972 7060 E3C5 637C 8A4F  4B42 4BC5 221C 5A79 FD1A

Meet Kraków saints!           #42: blessed Rafał Chyliński
Poznaj świętych krakowskich!  #42: błogosławiony Rafał Chyliński
https://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rafał_Chyliński
-- (sig_end)