Re: attempt to create a profile

From: Simon Tournier
Subject: Re: attempt to create a profile
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2023 22:27:17 +0100

Hi,

On Mon, 09 Jan 2023 at 15:59, Gottfried <gottfried@posteo.de> wrote:

> can I use two profiles at the same time?

Yes.  Although note that it depends on what they contain: package One
from profile A can be exclusive with package Two from profile B.

Therefore, combining profile A and B to create on the fly a new profile
containing both the packages One and Two can lead to issues if packages
One and Two are incompatible; aside potential issues with incompatible
propagated-inputs.

Does it make sense?

> When I have my main profile, additionally to open a second profile to
> use the package in there?

For instance, I have ~/.guix-profile containing few things and then many
other profile living in ~/.config/guix/profiles/; one for Emacs, one for
compilers, one for TeX, one for various applications, etc.

> Or do I have to switch from one profile to the other and then switch back?

For switching, as said earlier in this thread, there is various options.

>   I am still unsure how it works.

Maybe you might be interested by
<https://guix.gnu.org/cookbook/en/guix-cookbook.html#Guix-Profiles-in-Practice>

Cheers,