Re: Guix supported-systems option

From: phodina
Subject: Re: Guix supported-systems option
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2023 22:01:49 +0000

Hi Julien,

> I think you have multiple packages with the same name and version, but
> different supported systems. Am I right?

you are correct. I have multiple package definitions as shown in the attached
scheme file.

The names and versions are exactly the same, just the origin differs and Guix
picks "randomly" one of them.

I did as you suggested to rename the packages - append the arch. This works in
short term but I'd like to have one profile and just apply it on my laptop
(x86_64) as well as on Raspberry Pi (aarch64, recently added to Guix by Stefan).

Having different names will then not work or results in even bigger mess with
if statements.

> Now, supported-systems does not mean "remove this package on other
> architectures", but rather "can't build this on other architectures". So it's
> perfectly possible that guix will arbitrarily select a package for a
> different architecture.

Well this is the reason I ask. I though this has deeper meaning as to tell
Guix, okay you found a package with that name, but it's not for current
architecture. So keep looking and if you don't find any other return this one
with a warning that it's not supported.

So the "right" way would be conditionally select the right origin for the
package and use just one package definition with list of supported systems,
right?

----
Petr