specify custom manifest->friendly-name for guix pack -f docker?

From: Przemysław Kamiński
Subject: specify custom manifest->friendly-name for guix pack -f docker?
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2023 20:40:48 +0000

Hello,

I want to
guix pack -f docker -m manifest.scm
and get a nice image name. However, looking at the code I see
[https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/guix/scripts/pack.scm\#n618][https_git.savannah.gnu.org_cgit_guix.git_tree_guix_scripts_pack.scm_n618]
and then the ugly loop
[https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/guix/scripts/pack.scm\#n155][https_git.savannah.gnu.org_cgit_guix.git_tree_guix_scripts_pack.scm_n155]
that produces cryptic docker image names like bash-coreutils-r-zhs.

Would it be possible to provide an option to specify that name?

Current manifest record-type is a list of manifest entries:
[https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/guix/profiles.scm\#n205][https_git.savannah.gnu.org_cgit_guix.git_tree_guix_profiles.scm_n205]

I guess adding a name property to manifest is too big of a change.

Maybe then add an option to guix pack to accept optional name? And if not
provided, fall back to manifest->friendly-name.

Best,
Przemek