Re: specify custom manifest->friendly-name for guix pack -f docker?

From: Simon Tournier
Subject: Re: specify custom manifest->friendly-name for guix pack -f docker?
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2023 13:01:54 +0100

Hi,

On mer., 18 janv. 2023 at 20:40, Przemysław Kamiński via <help-guix@gnu.org>
wrote:

> that produces cryptic docker image names like bash-coreutils-r-zhs.

Well, this is an improvement compared to the previous behaviour. :-)
See 0074844366381e3056d09492b8b437836c7adb61:

pack: Provide a meaningful "repository name" for Docker.

Previously, images produced by 'guix pack -f docker' would always show
up as "profile" in the output of 'docker images'.  With this change,
'docker images' shows a name constructed from the packages found in the
image--e.g., "bash-coreutils-grep-sed".

And one thing discussed at the time of this change was that the rename
for a more meaningful name could append on the Docker side.

That’s said…

> Maybe then add an option to guix pack to accept optional name? And if not
> provided, fall back to manifest->friendly-name.

…yes, I agree.  It could be nice to be able to directly name the image.
However, this would mean that the produced Docker pack would not be
bit-to-bit reproducible considering the same manifest.  Other said, the
bit-to-bit reproducibility would require three inputs: the channels.scm
file describing the revision of Guix (and potentially other channels),
the manifest.scm file describing the packages and also the name provided
at Docker pack build-time.

Cheers,
simon