declarative containers (was Re: [EXT] Re: Enterprise Guix Hosting?)

From: Giovanni Biscuolo
Subject: declarative containers (was Re: [EXT] Re: Enterprise Guix Hosting?)
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2023 16:34:53 +0100

Hello everybody,

(this is an old thread started on help-guix [1])

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

> "Thompson, David" <dthompson2@worcester.edu> skribis:
>
>> On Wed, Aug 31, 2022 at 2:40 AM Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> Another thing that seems to be missing is a way to supervise and manage
>>> running containers.  I use a shepherd instance for this with
>>> container-specific actions like this:

[...]

>> Hey that's a real nice starting point for a container management tool!
>>  So maybe there should be a system service to manage containers and
>> then a 'docker compose'-like tool for declaratively specifying
>> containers and their network bridging configuration that is a client
>> of the service?
>
> Agreed!  We could turn Ricardo’s code into ‘container-guest-service’ or
> something and have ‘containerized-operating-system’ add it
> automatically.

please there was some progress with this service?

once done, could it be possible to declaratively start a whole network
of containers using a dedicated home-service, or
containerized-operating-systems (also on foreign distros)?

right now with "guix system container" we can imperatively manage
(start/stop, connect to the console with nsenter) and connect them
to the network [2], Ricardo showed us how he do it programmatically;
having a declarative interface (os-records) whould be awesome!

I'm very interested and willing to test it, if needed

thanks! Gio'

[1] id:878rn4syql.fsf@elephly.net

[2] thank you Ricardo for the cookbook section!
https://guix.gnu.org/en/cookbook/en/guix-cookbook.html#Guix-System-Containers

--
Giovanni Biscuolo

Xelera IT Infrastructures