Re: Understanding config.scm Modules

From: Simon Tournier
Subject: Re: Understanding config.scm Modules
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2023 15:07:52 +0100

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback.

No answer to your questions means “I do not know” or “Something is indeed
missing on Guix side”.

On jeu., 02 févr. 2023 at 19:02, "mhrunnels@yahoo.com" <mhrunnels@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> 2) For example, what is the purpose of "use-modules",
> "use-service-modules", and "use-package-modules"?

use-modules is from Guile
https://www.gnu.org/software/guile/manual/guile.html#Using-the-Guile-Module-System

The others are Guix specific.

> 4) Where does the manual list the modules and module options for quick
> reference?

I do not understand this question but I guess it is because the question
#2.

> 5) Are there other "modules" types not listed in these examples?

Nothing I am aware.

> 6) Why does the "use-modules" line always include another element or
> elements in parenthesis "( )" when the "use-service-modules" and
> "use-packages-modules" lines do not?

Example:

    (use-modules (guix)
                 (gnu packages base))

loads the modules named (guix) and named (gnu packages base).  See #2.

Since all the packages are defined in modules (gnu packages FOO) then it
is very common to write (gnu packages emacs-xyz) or (gnu packages
bioconductor) or etc. then ’use-package-modules’ provides a shortcut;
other said,

    (use-package-modules emacs-xyz bioconductor)

is equivalent to:

    (use-modules (gnu packages emacs-xyz)
                 (gnu packages bioconductor))

> Finally, I have invested over 40 hours reading the manual and other
> supporting material.  So, for the "RTM" crowd, I think that time
> investment reflects a commitment to learn and understand the Guix
> system. Accordingly, I look forward to hearing from those that can
> "fill in the gaps" missing from the manual or direct me to the
> specific resources necessary for me to comprehend what I don't
> understand.  And as a new Guix user, I am more than willing to
> contribute by assisting those working to improve the documentation.  A
> noob to help noobs, if you will indulge the thought.

Thanks for your effort and perseverance!  Your feedback is very valuable
and I hope that it could help in improving the manual by connecting some
missing dots.

Cheers,
simon