Re: Newbie user question: What do the columns shown by "guix package -I"

From: Simon Tournier
Subject: Re: Newbie user question: What do the columns shown by "guix package -I" mean?
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2023 11:53:31 +0100

Hi,

On Sun, 26 Feb 2023 at 21:31, Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <me@tobias.gr> wrote:

> I, personally, would welcome breaking their scripts—in exchange
> for adding a ‘--format=<something machine-readable>’ option like
> we already do for ‘guix search’.  A real API that's actually
> reliable and supportable.  I think that's fair.

Well, that’s something I would like since a very long time.  Well, I
even probably started somewhere an extension as replacement.

By <something machine-readable>, do you mean some placeholders?

> I just think I'd be outvoted and don't feel like starting a fight
> :-)

That’s why extension. :-)  It would avoid the fight and in the same time
it would help in designing such API allowing experimental breakage.

Well, I would also welcome this --format=<something machine-readable>. :-)

Cheers,
simon