Re: How to handle concurrent QT versions

From: Andreas Enge
Subject: Re: How to handle concurrent QT versions
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2023 17:53:11 +0100

Hello,

Am Tue, Feb 28, 2023 at 12:25:13PM +0100 schrieb Alexander Asteroth:
> since two month I didn't update my guix system now since I have a few
> self compiled softwares that depend on QT@5.15 (qtbase, etc.) which I
> need every day. Now version 6 of QT replaces 5 everywhere and whithout
> updating to 6 I cannot update a lot of other packages.

I would expect it to work out of the box. From what I see, the Qt5
libraries are called libQt5xxx.so. Supposedly the Qt6 libraries are
called differently (libQt6xxx.so?), so you should be able to install
both of them into the same profile.

Independently, software from Guix built with one or the other can be
installed at the same time: They will just point to different libraries
in the store, unless you also install the Qt libraries into your profile.

Andreas